Thursday, April 9, 2009

What to serve at my daughter's wedding

QUESTION: I am planning the appetizers for my daughter's wedding - we are expecting approx 175 guests. I would like to serve fruit{red and white grapes, strawberries} assorted cheeses, specialty crackers and assorted grissini. I am struggling with how much of each I will need. The reception prior to the full dinner will last about an hour. I would so appreciate your guidance.

ANSWER: What is grissini? I've never heard of it--could it possibly be crostini which is toasted bread slices upon which one places toppings?

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: grissini is a thin crunchy Italian breadstick 8-12 inches in length.

Answer: Thank you for enlightening me--I always like to learn new things. What you have sounds really good and cheese and crackers are always a crowd pleaser. You should figure on 6-8 appetizer bites per person per hour. If it's an afternoon wedding and you are serving fruit, that might not go over as fruit/cheese is more of a dessert or morning type of dish. You might want to consider something a little more 'dinner' like shrimp or meatballs or add some cold meat like pate or sausage slices with the cheese. An antipasta platter might be really good with some marinated cheese and marinated artichoke hearts. Costco sells buckets (about 2 pounds I think) of marinated bite size balls of fresh mozzarella as well as divine marinated artichoke hearts--both of which I've had and they are very tasty. I'd also think about maybe having a wheel of baked brie which can be topped with basil and raspberry preserves and wrapped in piecrust or puff pastry and baked--these are hugely popular and it could be the centerpiece of the fruit display. I had one of these at a New Year's party last year that was so good I chased down the caterer and begged for the recipe and if anything ever happens to my husband, I'm marrying this caterer--or at least pitching a tent on his front lawn until he gives me kitchen priveleges!!