Monday, October 27, 2008

Grandmother-zilla


Question:
My daughter will soon be engaged and I am very apprehensive about dealing with my mother in law. She is very controlling and wants to be in charge of everything in our family. Through my 28 years of marriage, there has been a conflict on what is my role as wife, mother and what she should be privliged do as grandmother and mother of her son. Can you tell me what the paternal grandmother of a bride normally is involved with for a wedding? Any advice how to keep her from overstepping her bounds. I want to enjoy planning the wedding with my daughter. Thanks!


Answer:
The role of the paternal grandmother at the wedding is very simple. She is invited to the rehearsal dinner and to the wedding and reception. She would also be invited to any bridal showers that you may be having. The mother of the bride and the bride are the ones that are responsible for planning the wedding and working with the wedding planner. I strongly recommend that you retain the services of a wedding planner, a good wedding planner will save you a great deal of money, far more than what you'll end up paying for her services. I typically save my brides a minimum of $5000 for their weddings which is far more than the fee that I normally charge. Additionally, the services of a good wedding planner take a great deal of pressure off of you and your daughter. If you will tell me what area of the country you were located in I can recommend someone to help you if you would like.Congratulations to you and your daughter and best wishes for a lifetime of happiness.