Thursday, April 9, 2009

Work place etiquette

Question:
I am the American wife of a Vice President working and living in Thailand.I find it inappropriate that the female staff members always make it a point to comment on my husbands looks and style in front of our guests and anyone like saying "Sir you look handsome, like movie star tonight"and much more.. then the other males both VP Thais and foreigners all smirk and give him the eyes as if he is somehow accepting of this practice.They also wantonly offer girls to accompany him on trips or to entertain him when they go out and my husband told me it makes him very uncomfortable.I find the female employees comments to be inappropriate especially in front of the wife and in front of our guests;I am at wits end as to how to address it without sounding like a jealous wife or should I just consider it 'boys will be boys'mens club?!
Thank you so much
kate

Answer:
Apparently you are just now learning of the low esteem in which women are openly viewed. This is common practice where you are and the fact that you find it personally offensive is not going to change thousands of years of social custom in this country. Your husband can explain to them that he does not wish to be offered women like they were cheese cubes at a buffet, but it's not going to stop. Lead by example is the best advice I can give to you.